17 March, 2008

St. Patrick's day


Remember this?  My very first post!  Just for fun I thought I would post it again :)



  Happy St.Patrick's Day!!


  I think today is a very good day to start a blog on my favorite Irish subjects.  IRISH COTTAGES, IRISH COOKING RECIPES, AND ALL THINGS IRISH!   I hope this blog finds you well and that you enjoy what I am blogging on.  I would love to hear from anyone in my comments section and do encourage participation in this blog.......so let's get started!



  Currently,  I am listening to my favorite radio station.  RTE Radio 1 FM.  I am not in Ireland, so I pick-up the station online at their website. www.rte.ie   
I am also thinking on what I should make for dinner on this St. Paddy's day.  I know for certian that I will be making my favorite recipe of Irish Soda Bread.  But the big question is wether or not to make a Cottage Pie or an Irish Stew?  Hmmm, I haven't had my two cups of Irish coffee yet, so I think I will save this decision until later.    (Okay, I think I should clerify that I am not actually drinking coffee with Irish cream as that would be silly this early in the morning.  I put my coffee in my favorite cup from Ireland.  A.k.a Irish coffee :)


Irish Soda Bread

2 1/4 cups of white flour 
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tbs melted butter
2 tbs honey or sugar if you prefer
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 F  or 176 C

In a bowl mix together baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
In another bowl wisk together milk, butter, honey and egg.
Make a little valley in your dry mixture bowl and add your liquid
ingredients to that.   Now blend until all ingredients are thoroughly
combined.  I like to mix from the outside in until the middle is covered. 
Your mixture should hold a round shape. Place your dough on a baking 
sheet with lightly sprayed parchment paper or I like to make 2 recipes 
and put one bread dough on the sprayed sheet and one in a lightly
sprayed loaf pan.   The loaf pan bread I cut like slices of regular bread :)
Take a sharp knife and make an X across the top of the dough.

Bake 45 minutes or until the bottom sounds hollow when thumped.

Best eaten the day it is made.....not a problem in my house.

That's it for today.   Next time I will be blogging on my cottage dreams and
what I am doing to attain that goal.

Best wishes to you, Kimme





No comments: