27 August, 2009

Bananas, socks, & Cheese. Oh my!



Doesn't that title conjure up all kinds of stinky thoughts?
Cheese and socks? Stinky cheese and socks? Stinky socks?
Socks and bananas? Socks, cheese and
bananas? Rotten bananas? I'm just saying! LOL!!

Anywayssss.....


I love greenish bananas. I don't care for them when they
go completely ripe. Once they start to get any brown spots
I no longer want to eat them. My throat used to itch as
a child from them. It doesn't now, but old habits are funny
aren't they?

Anyway, This is all fine as my husband loves bananas in
any form. No waste here. Good thing since all veg and fruit
seem to be getting more and more expensive...

But lately, we have been occupied with family matters.
Bad news for the bananas sitting on the counter. In
our absence these little guys have gone black with a sweet
smell. What to do with them now? As I was standing near
the window considering a hard pitch over the fence to our
make-shift compost pile a thought occurred to me.

Why not make banana bread?

My grandmother, who lately has been in my constant thoughts,
would have done exactly that.

She would have grabbed a few walnuts, some flour, a bowl
and made the most fantastic bread I know I have ever tasted.

And, Oh how I miss the smell of her kitchen. The smell of her
house for that matter. From the lavender that permeates her
lined dresser drawers. To the smell of her clothes that have come
from a closet lined with wood chips and moth balls. I always
remember things by smell. I can get a whiff of something and
it will trigger a memory. Mostly happy ones :)

The bananas didn't go to waste this day. I did a search for
a recipe and found a simple one. One that I knew would
transform my rotten fruit into something very wonderful.
A connection with someone I love and a treat for those who
love me.

Recipe

(this is not my grandmother's....I didn't have all the
ingredients to make hers.... next time)

Handful of walnuts
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Egg
1 1/2 cup bananas
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

In Large bowl mix bananas, sugar, egg and oil. In
another bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir til all mixed.
Now add nuts and stir again.

Bake for around 1 hour. 350F/177c :)


Socks!!!

Well folks, I haven't been working on my socks.
I will get back to them as soon as I can. I have read
over on Pam's blog that she is making great strides
on hers. I am so glad :) I love to knit socks and I
am so happy to read that she is loving it too!! It is
so much fun to knit them and give as a gift. Simple
pleasures rock!!!

Cheese.....

We did open the Can O' Cheese. It was good. I guess.
I won't lie to ya. I was a tad wigged out by the look
of the cheese sitting in a brine within a can? Sounds
tasty doesn't it? LOL! It tasted almost woody.
If you have ever eaten feta it would be a similar
consistency and taste...Except, it was drier. We cubed
it up & put it on a homemade pizza. The crust was
a combination of half wheat/half white flour. Topped
with olive oil, spinach, onions, garlic and goats cheese.
Very very tasty! However, next time we will stick with
the feta. I just prefer the taste..... oh and the lack of the
can doesn't hurt. LOL!! Makes me wonder if the cheese
was doomed in my mind from the start? Maybe I
should try it sans the can? LOl!!!

Have a nice weekend ~ Kimme

4 comments:

Barry said...

Oh I love banana bread, just not with canned cheese! lol

Cristie, Tim, and crew said...

I love reading your blog!! Thanks for being so intriguing!! I miss your wit!!! *hugs*

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

YUM! YUM! L.O.V.E BANANA BREAD!
AND CHEESE TOO!

ENJOY LIFE`S SIMPLE TREASURES,
DEBBIE MOSS

George@CulinaryTravels said...

I love banana bread so thanks for the recipe.

That cheese sounds so intriguing. Glad you enjoyed.