30 November, 2009

In the spirit?




That holiday spirit is starting to float threw my
house like the smell of a mincemeat pie baking in
the oven.

I am happily singing as I decorate the house with
red and green candles that smell of balsam fir trees
and putting festive tablecloths out.

Who'da thought I would be gripped by that Christmas
spirit in such a way? I am spending Christmas at
our families home, and I have to admit that I was feeling
a little "humbug" by who knows what.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized I wouldn't have
to haul out the goods from the basement this year. Instead,
I could stay in someone else's finely decorated house with little
effort on my part. Ha! (That sounds bad doesn't it. LOL! And so
not me!)

We would just skip Christmas decorations in our house. Why
decorate? We would be embraced by holiday cheer once we
got to our families homes. It's not like we are going to Jamaica
instead of "having Christmas". We would still have the pudding
and the cheer. Why go threw the trouble here?

Then I thought about my mother whose birthday is in a few days.
And this made me think....

Had I let all the troubles of the year turn me into to a grinch?
Had I forgotten what Christmas is really about?

But then the wind changed to that cool crispness that you only
feel when Christmas is near. Which again reminded me of
my mother. She always had the spirit of Christmas in her.
We didn't have much, but she sure made us feel we had love
and each other.

I remember her putting out her dime store ornaments that
we thought were great treasures. Tinsels and socks and a
plug in fireplace.

I never knew these things were not grand. They were handled
with care and looked forward to from year to year. The years
finally did wear them out and sadly they are no more. Only in my
mind can I see them.

And somehow I am now hooked. I wake up singing my favorite
holiday songs... a little off tune, but with much zeal.

My favorite song to sing loudly and with great enthusiasm
is "Hark the herald".... You know the one.....



Hark the herald angels sing

"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled"
Joyful, all ye nations rise
Join the triumph of the skies
With the angelic host proclaim:
"Christ is born in Bethlehem"
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

The day is sure to be cheery If you shout it out with all you have! LOL!

Now, mind you, I didn't put much out in the way of decorations.
Just a few family favorites.

Here in Germany we put our shoes outside for Saint Nickolaus
on the evening of December 5th. On the morning of the 6th shoes
are found to be filled with goodies including candy and gifts.
We have gotten nuts and sweets in previous years. :)



Have a Happy Holidays my dear friends. ~kimme

(btw, I will try to post pics of my up coming adventures)

8 comments:

the hentzen house said...

merry Christmas to you! i enjoy your blog!

Irish Cottage Dreams said...

Thank you hentzen house for reading my blog :) I hope you have a Merry Christmas too!

hugs~kimme

Irish Cottage Dreams said...

I live in a house full of funny critics!!

I wrote this post last night and this morning my daughter (who thinks she is an English Aficionado) Says "you can't say "That holiday spirit". "That's not right". Then hubby chimes in.... "When did you ever cook a mincemeat pie?" "You don't even bake".

Well smarty pants, I am using "That Holiday spirit" as a noun phrase. Kinda like "That old feeling" (hmm, now she has me wondering if I am wrong?)

And to hubby.... I didn't say I cooked a mincemeat pie! I just said it smelled like one! sheesh people. LOL!!

Gotta love those funny people in my house!!

Christy said...

Kimme--Thanks for reading my blog. My husband grew up here but we moved back about 8 years ago. Sometimes it is just too small for me/us....we like amenities. And other times, it's just right. Going through all this, though, has proven a unique challenge. Our perspectcives have changed, our desires have changed, our lives have changed. Sounds very interesting where you live. I will enjoy checking in on you from time to time. Glad you are in the holiday spirit! Funny how those cheap little decorations have a lasting impression in our grown-up minds. It's the same for me!
Take Care,
Christy

Utah Grammie said...

I have been feeling a little off-put by the whole decorate-for-a-month thing as well..But I know I need to get with it..I have so much to be thankful for and to celebrate - and hopefully, if I sleep with my mouth open, the grumpies will leve and happy will slip right on in :-)

Sister-Daughter said...

Ah, but it is not about holidays but HOLY DAYS. holidays are what you go on in summer. Christmas is about Jesus. Period. Nothing and no one else. All the traditions mean nothing else. What many feel is the old pagan spirit. And it leaves us empty does it not? Here, we will be very quiet now, during Advent and Christmas too will be very quiet and holy. Here, the crib will be in the window from Gaudete Sunday, and that will shine the Light of Jesus to all who pass. That is all and all and all. Thankful to be where we can say "HAPPY CHRISTMAS" and mean it and where each small town has its crib in the street. Because Jesus is the real and only gift. In other lands, the homeless we care for will be royally feasted. They deserve that and so much more. If festive food is given we will eat it and gladly, if not, that is fine also. Blessings and tgrue joy and the peace of Jesus with you.

Val said...

Happy Christmas to you too.
I'm not sure if we will be at home for Christmas or if Jono will be in hospital.

white o'morn cottage said...

What a lovely post Kimme.

I love the wooden shoes. My Jamie is celebrating Christmas in Holland on the 5th too.
I love your new picture with the long hair. You look so young in it!

Thanks a million for my lovely presents which arrived this morning. I am thrilled with them.
Will my package to you be kept safe for you if it arrives after you have left for Christmas? Love Pam