20 November, 2009

Picture of the week - Plus a Tale...


(click picture to make larger)

Idar Oberstein -- Felsenkirche (Rock Church)

In 2006 I visited this beautiful church in Idar Oberstein.
As I stood in awe down the path below it, I was told by a local
that it is almost 500 years old. I was also told
a legend that this church was built by a man to honor
his brother who had fallen from this location. It seems they
had gotten in an argument with a very sad outcome. It is a
very beautiful tribute if this truly is the case.

After learning of this tale, I inquired around with no luck. My
husband, who had previously visited this site 30 years ago, had
heard this story back then and found it as fascinating as I do.

At the time of my visit, I was unable to enter the church for reasons
I don't recall. Since then I have wanted to go back and see the inside
and to inquire on the tale and history of the church. I pass this location
often and did stop the other day only to discover the church will be
closed until March. I guess I will just have to wait until then.....

As for now, here is a link to Felsenkirche website. Enjoy!

Have a great weekend. ~Kimme

2 comments:

Barry said...

It is a beautiful church and one with a fascinating history--and a little mystery,

Perfect.

white o'morn cottage said...

That sure is fascinating. I hope you get to look inside and report back. I love oddities like that. I had a look at the site you linked. Lovely.